I just read that Trinbagonian sprinters Richard Thompson(double silver medalist in Beijing '08) and Monique Cabral were involved in a New Year's morning car accident in Trinidad. According to the Guardian report, both sprinters are in stable condition with minor injuries and not in critical condition as earlier reported by the Trinidad and Tobago media(I have no trust in Trinidad and Tobago's news media-blog on this coming soon).

This is like deja vu and not in a good way. This same scenario took place after Ato Boldon represented Trinidad and Tobago in Sydney. And, if I recall correctly, he never clocked under the 10 second mark in the 100m race after his accident. Aren't these guys under some sort of contract barring them from driving or doing any other dangerous activity that could hinder or end their careers on the track? I'm happy that they weren't seriously injured and this wouldn't hinder their careers on the track and I hope this will also send a wake up call to the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago about how deadly the roads have become. They certainly aren't obligated to, but I'm looking forward to these 2 sprinters doing a P.S.A. about safe driving in the near future.





Bonus Info

Another piece of information I want to slip into this blog is the stabbing of Trinidad and Tobago's national football team goalkeeper, Marvin Phillips over the holiday season. He wasn't the primary target of the attackers but he was injured while trying to protect his friend from being murdered. His injuries are also not career threatening. I mention him in this blog because I believe these guys need to start taking extra precautions to protect themselves. At the moment, they are more than just athletes from Trinidad and Tobago; they are ambassadors to the country in a time when the country really needs some positive light shone upon it. This is just my opinion though. It's their lives and who am I to tell them how to live it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to "follow" and "subscribe" to this blog by clicking the links at the top of this page.